The other day I decided to make some applesauce with some apples that no one wanted to eat and had long lost their crisp. That smell of apples cooking took me back to memories of Fall on the farm growing up. It smelled like my mom and grandma's kitchen and I could nearly imagine those kitchens and the making of applesauce. My mom always made a lot of applesauce and we would freeze it in ziplock bags. It seems I remember my Grandma mostly cooking down a few apples for a meal or two, using whatever had come her way. Because of her I cooked down those apples instead of letting them slowly rot.
Friday, September 30, 2011
Changing Seasons
It's been getting cooler here in the evenings and with the days getting shorter as well it is a new season: Fall. With that comes new seasonal fruits and veggies at the pazaar, the washing and drying of rugs before the weather turns cold, and some good windy days for drying laundry.
This evening I went for a walk because I could see a good sunset coming. When you grow up with big horizons you get to studying the sky without even knowing it. It's just so big. And it doesn't take long to know that clouds, the right kind in the right places, make light turn into color. This evening there were clouds. All day there were clouds. If there is one thing I continue to randomly comment about this year, it is the clouds. Ask Aaron. I'm always asking him if there were clouds like this our first two years in Turkey cause I really don't remember clouds. I remember either clear blue skies or smoggy gray washed-out skies. But never these white fluffy clouds. The kind that sail low in the sky with dramatic shadows. Maybe they are unique to this northern part of the city. Maybe they come off the Black Sea. I don't know but I am accepting them as a personal gift from the Creator who knows how much I like clouds, and skies, and sunsets. So, I went for my walk and it was indeed a beautiful sunset. It was a gift and good medicine to my soul.
Labels:
Reflections
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I always used to make applesauce. I'd cook the whole, unpealed apples and then put them through a sieve. Kind of like you do with tomatoes. It smelled so good. Takes me back.
ReplyDelete