Thursday, September 22, 2011

Yufka and Gozleme

I've been meaning to post about my love for yufka for quite some time.  I finally remembered to take pictures this time!  Well, this is yufka, fresh from the pazaar seller.  It is basically a very, very thin sort of dough.  It is the main ingredient used to make börek, a very yummy and traditional Turkish food.  I think I'll have to post on that later.  I bought six pieces today and they are all folded and rolled up together.

You can see in this picture with my lovely helper Sonora that the yufka is very large.  It is also very thin, like paper, and it is round (don't know if you can actually see it's shape since it is folded over a bit).  

In my large frying pan I'm cooking up some gozleme.  Basically it is pieces of yufka folded together with some feta-like-cheese or mashed potatos tucked inside and then fried in a pan with a little oil until they are brown.  It's a super fast little treat and the kids love it. 

 This one has cheese with some dill as well. This was taken before it was all folded up.  They use this special inverted sort of frying pan to make these really well.  I am still trying to perfect the consistancy of yufka and filling.  On the streets you can sometimes find vendors selling these fresh off the skillet.  They usually only put cheese or potatos inside.  I made some cheese filled ones for Sonora, some potato filled ones for Malachi and spinach filled ones for Aaron and I.  They all turned out really good.  The spinach was especially tasty.

And since I had such a willing helper with such a cute smile I thought I'd show you my yummy fried red peppers.  They are in season now at the pazaar and one of my neighbors served them like this for breakfast at her house.  They were so delicous I had to make some for my family.  Super simple, just big chunks of red pepper fried in oil until soft.  The flavor is so good.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Consuelo - I also love yufka. I've tried a few varieties of borek, but would love to experiment with it a bit more. So yummy....

    ReplyDelete