Monday, June 27, 2011

Honest words, real feelings

Malachi is a deep kid.  I don't like to post too much detail on the kids because not everything is meant for the world to see or hear.  But, sometimes what they say really hits me.  We've got a kid who can't stop saying how much he misses his "family" (meaning all of you Grandmas and Grandpas and aunts and uncles and cousins back home).  It comes at the craziest times and as parents we don't take it lightly.  We know our kids miss family and we miss family but Malachi seems to feel it a bit intensely.  Tonight he said it like this:

Mal:  It's like this Mom.  Some people have lots of family, and some people have lots of friends, and some people have lots of things, and some people have lots of food, and some people have lots of servants, and some people have lots of animals.

Me:  Ok?

Mal:  It's a parable Mom (said with an intense look).

Me:  OK, so tell me what it means now.

Mal:  Well, I've got lots of food and some things and some friends and you and Dad are like servants taking care of me, but I don't have anyone I love like my family.

I'm not sure about this "servant" stuff and obviously the affection from his mom and dad isn't feeling enough these days, but I didn't take it personally.  All of you family out there, know that you are very important to Malachi even though you are far away and even though he doesn't always want to talk on Skype or the phone.  He feels your value very much and misses you guys.  We all do.  Being far away has never been easy and it isn't getting easier.  Much grace needed these days.  

3 comments:

  1. Oh my, what a boy you have. If only we knew the exact perfect thing to do or say to him. But we do love him too and all of you and miss you too. It's not always easy for us either. We pray for grace and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Consuelo, It's great to meet a fellow blogger in Turkey. May the Lord bless you, your family and your ministry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Malachi is definitely a deep kid, and I like the idea of resurrecting parables in everyday speech. Love you guys. Miss you, g.

    ReplyDelete