I have been knitting for years, since my second year in college I think. I've made mittens, hats, a few sweaters (mainly little ones for kids), a few purses, etc. By American standards I am more than a beginner. However, since coming to Turkey I have come to rate myself as a novice knitter because the women who knit here are amazing! They knit without patterns!!! That is something I have never done until now. After some encouragement from a friend here I decided to try it, to knit a "hırka" (a sweater that buttons or zips in the front) for Malachi . . . for Christmas hopefully. I started in Spring and thought I'd have it done this Fall but now the goal is Christmas. Women here would've had this whipped up in a week maybe but I am hanging in there, and with the weather being cooler and the days shorter hopefully I will find more time to sit and knit. This is how far I am and even though it is a little rough, I'm pretty proud that I'm figuring this out by myself. I'm finding the challenge fun. Now for the sleeves. Wish me luck!

That is awesome!! I am so proud of you!! We miss you guys and hope all is well. Love the "new" car!
ReplyDeleteWow, that is awesome! And I love the color. Good job! Make sure you post a picture when you finish.
ReplyDeleteIt's beautiful already. Mel's going to love it. A real labor of love.
ReplyDelete