Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Tulip Festival


This year I made it a point to go to the Tulip Festival at Emirgan Park.  I didn't make it last year but was there in 2010 and was so impressed I knew I had to make it back.  

This time I went alone.  It is about an hour and a half to two hour commute from our home to this old park on the European side.  The time on the dolmus and taxi and bus went really fast for being on my own.  Needless to say I have a lot on my mind these days and a day out all by myself was just what I needed.  


Strangely, it ended up to be a day where I met old and new acquaintances. First I met a lady on the bus who showed me the way to the park and invited me to join her and her friends she was meeting for tea there.  I declined her offer, but it was so sincere I almost found myself saying yes.  

Then after wandering for awhile I recognized a woman whose kids go to school with ours.  We caught up a bit and she introduced me to her friend and after a little small talk I continued on.   

 

A little stroll ahead further brought me to a place where everyone was flocking to get their pictures taken and I offered to take a group picture for someone only to find out they were a group of Spanish speaking women in Istanbul--two from Bolivia!  They were equally surprised to hear that my mom was Bolivian.  That was fun but my Spanish ran out quickly.


On I walked, enjoying the flowers when I saw our former Turkish nanny who I hadn't seen for nearly a year.  That was a good surprise for both of us.  

Then I found a quiet place to sit and rest and think.  A small girl of four came with her Grandma towards the tree where I was sitting and her Grandma asked if we could be acquainted for her granddaughter had been watching me carefully the last hour wanting to know who I was.  We exchanged names and four year old small talk and I left her with a drawing I had made of the tulips.  


Finally on my way out of the park I passed a group of women who were picnicking.  They had a huge spread of food on picnic blankets with their tea pot brewing tea right next to them.  It was such a typical scene of a Turkish picnic I wanted a picture.  They of course let me take the picture and before I knew it I was the guest at their blanket with a plate full of more food than I could eat and a cup of cay.  I am still impressed with how naturally hospitality comes to Turks.  They don't hesitate to ask you to join them and once their invitation is accepted they nearly overwhelm you with food and tea and laughter and good company.  I really enjoyed my time with these ladies.  


Though I went to see the tulips on my own, it was not a lonely day in the least bit.  I had some good time by myself to think and pray and just enjoy God's creation.  And I was also surprised along the way by all the different people I got to see and know a bit.  They were as varied as the tulips I saw.  



1 comment:

  1. The tulips are beautiful! Reminds me of the tulip fields in Oregon. Loved the picture of the picnic ladies and how nice of them to ask you to join them!

    ReplyDelete