Thursday, April 7, 2011

March Birthdays-Coming to you in April

The end of March is always exciting around here.  It means "birthdays" start, first with mine, then Malachi's and then Sonora's comes the middle of April.  Thanks everyone for the nice birthday cards.  And Cari, your cards made it on time leaving me to be the only one who isn't getting this birthday card thing together ;) !!  Really, I'm kidding and so enjoying hearing from all of you.  Thanks so much family!

Ok, I have to tell this story of how our "birthday's" started.  One day when our neighbor boy knocked on the door to come and play Sonora came with me to the door and announced in Turkish to him and his mom, "Tomorrow's my Mom's birthday!!!!!!!"  She was so excited.  Well, the next morning our neighbor boy comes to our door with two presents.  One big, one small.  Somehow they had misunderstood Sonora and thought she was announcing her own birthday so they went and bought a present for her and a small gift for Malachi as well.  Before we knew exactly what was happening she was already opening her gift (a few weeks early) and then I was explaining that is was really my birthday and it was a little awkward :)!  They were so thoughtful though.  So, there was a little distraction over this early present (a large doll) but it worked out OK.  I took this picture while she was sleeping.  It's half her size and we are dragging this poor doll places I'd rather her not go because it often means that I'm carrying her.  Anyway. . . .






For my birthday Aaron surprised me by creating a little work space/desk for me in our bedroom.  The picture to the left is before his work and the picture to the right the finished product.  The kids took me out for breakfast on my birthday and Aaron stayed home to work on this.  I love it and I think he loved putting it together.  Thanks Aaron!!

For Malachi's birthday we grilled hotdogs on our balcony!  The kids are plugging their noses because it's pretty smoky getting the charcoal fired up.  
Then after supper Malachi had an "ice cream cake" and our neighbor boy came over with his mom.  We celebrated together and the kids played.  It was a good day.  I saved his real cake for the weekend, where we were able to be in Edirne with our friends and celebrate Mal's birthday with them.
 Here is a random picture taken during one of the birthday games we played while in Edirne.  It's kind-of a fun shot.
And here is our birthday boy holding his cake.  I saved a box of angel food cake and it was a huge hit with everyone!  
Thanks to everyone who made Malachi's birthday so special with the cards you sent, the phone calls you made, and the special emails.  During birthdays we miss being able to celebrate with all of you family members but we are thankful for friends and neighbors here who are close like family.

No comments:

Post a Comment