The concert didn't start until 8:30, the kids' bedtime, so for starters it was going to be a late night. I think we were one of two families with young kids. We showed up at the Saint Esprit Cathedral a half an hour early and there was a big group of people waiting for the doors to open. As I scanned the crowd and saw all these well dressed couples (and no children) I started making my little speeches to the kids that went like this: "This is such a special concert, only kids that behave realllllllly well will come, so you need to remember to be on your best behavior." I felt like we were getting a few looks like, "why did you bring your kids to this concert." I'm sure that isn't what they were thinking but the kids did attract some attention.
We waited at the back of the crowd thinking we wanted to sit in the back anyway, why push for a front seat. Well, what we didn't know is that those in the back wouldn't find a seat at all. When we got in we and the rest of the people behind us were obliged to find a suitable spot for standing. We found space, Aaron and Sonora found a place on the side with a little ledge Sonora could stand on to see a little better, and Malachi and I stayed a little further back where there was a sort of platform with stairs. When standing on the second step Malachi was as tall as me, which doesn't say much for height, but it was a decent view. . . . until it really packed in with people and then it was impossible for either of us to see with taller people standing in front of us.
Anyway, the concert started. It was a treat to hear a large choir again. They did a great job. They performed pieces from the Baroque period and it was all in Latin or French and other languages. Aaron and I appreciated it and I think because of the big deal we were making out of it, the kids thought it was cool too. Malachi got tired of standing so he joined Aaron and Sonora. Aaron sat down on the ground with him on his lap and Sonora spread out her jacket on her little ledge to make a sort of bed. It was so crowded it didn't seem to matter and others were finding places on the floor near the side to sit. We lasted about 45 minutes and then we decided to quit while it was still good. We were hoping to stay to hear Handel's "Hallelujah" piece performed, but wisdom said, quit while it's still fun. So we squeezed our way out and called it a night. I'm glad we went. On our way back to the car I asked Malachi what he thought. This was his response: "It was great! But I think it was maybe more fun for adults." Gotta love honesty!!!!
A walk in the rain to the concert.
Arriving!
Waiting!
Finding a spot inside.
Enjoying the music.

No comments:
Post a Comment