Saturday, December 18, 2010

Christmas Memories

We've been making memories around here.  When I see our kids at ages 4 and 6 already I sometimes wonder how they got so big so fast.  I have to keep practicing intentional memorization so I can store away these precious expressions and even not so cute moments in my head for when the moment is over, the age is past, and I'm a reminising momma.  Here are a few. . .

Decorating sugar cookies today with Sonora's neighbor friend Havin.  Very classic with Malachi choosing not to decorate more than two because they are messy, Sonora and Havin using half a container of sprinkles on each cookie, all in one spot.  There was a fair amount of colored sugar and sprinkles on the floor when we were done but seeing those two little girls so intent and joyful at their work was worth every bit of the mess.

Tonight after watching a Christmasy movie as a family, Polar Express, Malachi decided to write a note to Santa.  Sonora kept asking where he was going to send it and then how to send a letter to God.  After writing a list of a few things Malachi hands it to Aaron and says, "Dad, this is for you so you know what to put in my stocking."

Before tucking Malachi into bed he insisted in opening his piggy bank to see how much money he had for Christmas.  We counted it out and it was 6 Turkish Lira and 9 American cents.  Earlier he kept asking his daddy to write a "malachi list" so he would know what to get him for Christmas.  I wasn't following their conversation but when Malachi was in bed he kept asking if we could go shopping tomorrow.  He said, "I just have to get something for Dad."  He was wondering if he had enough money to buy a Monopoly Board game and I suggested that maybe if Sonora pitched in a little and I did we probably could.  He was quiet a moment and then said he's rather get it himself, maybe just I could help. I suggested something else and he thinks a bit and says, "I might have enough money to get him something from a Kirtasiye (like a school supply store). . . maybe a stapler."  I said I would have his daddy write him a list.  I love to see the giving spirit in my kids.  I don't care what the gift is, it's the heart that counts.  So, we'll do our first Christmas shopping this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment