Wednesday, May 18, 2011
It's so hard to say no
I've struggled with a gallbladder issue for some time now (at least that is the doctor's guess) yet haven't wanted to rush into surgery to have it removed. It has seemed a little worse these last weeks so I've decided to cut out coffee and tea. Well, that went well for a week but it's been hard. The coffee is hard because I enjoy a cup of coffee in the morning, but I've continued to cut that out. But it has been so hard to cut out tea. It is just such a huge part of life here, you feel like you are insulting someone when you turn them down. I made it one week but have given in again. Usually it just means one or two cups in a visit. I insist on less tea and ask for it light. But today I went over the top. I met a friend at the doctor and she waited for me to be done so we could walk home together, which meant a walk right up into her mother's apartment for tea. Three to four cups of tea (being new to her home I didn't want to refuse) and a few hours later I headed home, ate lunch, started on some work and the door bell rang. My across the hall neighbor asked me over for tea. We had intended to have tea together yesterday but something came up for her. So I drank one cup with her (she knows I'm trying to cut down). Then I went to pick up Sonora from school and we stopped in at a different neighbor's house because I had promised her at the beginning of the day. They have a boy a little older than her and a new baby that she adores. So we went and I knew it would mean even more tea. And I did. Two light cups. Anyway, it's so hard to say no when tea is such an important cultural piece. Tea just goes so well with conversation. It's like it sets the beat and atmosphere of a visit beginning with the brewing and then the stirring in of the sugar, the constant refilling and sipping. We'll see how I feel tonight if I can even get to sleep!
Labels:
Culture
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment