Well, this post is really a bit old as the kids have been out of school for over a week now and we were at a friends' vacation house for that first week out of school (I'll be posting on that later). But I did a bit of sewing that last week of school as I wanted to give a gift to Sonora's teacher and also I had a baby shower to go to on the weekend. I whipped up a few things in my handy dandy sewing space (the dining room table) where you can see in the picture the machine to the left and all sorts of stuff on the table. Sonora is doing a little dance around the long extension cord running across the floor, feeding power to my machine.
I was able to sew Sonora's teacher a picnic blanket with corner pockets for rocks to hold it down. Sonora helped me paint the rocks like bugs and flowers. One of the corner pockets have a zipper to hold them in or anything else worth storing. I also made a little quilting welcome sign for the principle of the school. I've spent many hours in her office during the course of the year. Primarily at the begging when Sonora was getting adjusted. I'd spend the first half an hour to hour there drinking tea and visiting. It's been a really great school for Sonora and we hope she may be able to go there for her kindergarten year as well. We are still praying about it and working through the details.
I also made this fabric basket for a friends' baby shower. I suppose it could be used to diapers or toting around soft toys. It was fun to make and not to hard.
The table still has the machine set up as I'm working on turning holely pants into shorts and shorts into skirts, etc. It's been fun learning how to extend the wear of the kids' clothes with just a little time. I'd much rather sit at the machine than go out shopping (and that is the honest truth!) and it helps the pocket book as well. The more I mess with adjusting clothes the more ideas I have with what to do with others. I'm becoming more and more like my mom (looking at something and thinking of making it rather than buying it) and loving it. I only wish I had taken the time to learn more from her.


Great sewing projects!
ReplyDelete