Saturday, October 22, 2011

Good Eating

We love chips and salsa.  It seems to be the one missed food from America that after indulging in we still can't get enough of.  Especially Dena's (my sister in law) salsa.  She makes the most amazing salsa and we've been trying to replicate it all week because . . . . . WE FOUND CILANTRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!  A friend from chuch said they found it at their Sunday pazaar so after dropping them off last Sunday we stopped by and got some for ourselves.   I made some chips by brushing flour tortialls with olive oil and salting them, and then baked them in the oven.  They turned out well.



Then this week at the pazaar I somehow got roped into buying a cabbage.  I stopped to ask how they sell them and pretty soon I was committed to buying a half of one.  They reason this was a "commitment" of sorts is because of the sheer size of these things.  Even a half a cabbage is bigger than two whole cabbages from a normal garden, maybe three.  I don't like to exaggerate so I'll stick with two until I can get a picture to prove my point.  Anyway, it was a lot of cabbage to commit to using during the week and I even ended up giving a half of my half to my neighbor.  I bought it in the first place because I wanted to try to make cabbage dolma (stuffed cabbage leaves).  It's like the stuffed grape leaves here only they use cabbage leaves instead.  Well, I made a batch and they turned out pretty well.  I just need to make some cole slaw or something to finish off that cabbage in the fridge.  The new fruits and veggies that come out with the launch of a new season always inspire me to try something new. 

In the middle glass bowl is the rice and herb mixture that I rolled into the cabbage leaves.

Here are my stuffed cabbage leaves.

And because I had extra stuffing I threw in some peppers.

1 comment:

  1. These cabbage dolmas look yummy they remind me of some sort of spring roll. Also, I've had Dena's salsa and your right it is the best.

    ReplyDelete