This last Spring a friend brought back a very colorful floor pillow from Thailand. Unfortunatally it didn't hold up well and a seam ripped causing all this light cotton seed type stuffing to scatter everywhere, adding to the dust bunnies that like to gather in my home. I couldn't repair it and thought of tossing the whole thing but couldn't bring myself to do it. So I stuck it in a plastic bag until I could make a new covering.
Eventually, just this month, as I was cleaning stuff out, I found it and decided it was time to fix it so we could use it. I took some fabric I had on hand and first wrapped the whole thing in that, sewing it up so that there wasn't any chance for the stuffing to get out. Then I thought I'd use up some scraps to make a cover. I've been collecting my long strips of fabric for a long time, and this seemed like a great time to do some strip piecing, something I had never done before.
Basically I sewed together the strips until I had a piece big enough to cut into a square. I cut the square so the strips would lie diagonal. I made four of these and sewed them together for the top of the pillow. I quilted the top peice with my machine. Then I sewed on the sides and a back and it was done. If it wasn't for wanting to put in a zipper (which I did) it would've really been a quick project. But learning something always takes longer. It's not the best zipper, but it's not the worst either. Here's the finished product.
![]() |
| Here's Malachi trying it out. |

Love string quilting projects! You're a brave mama letting your kiddos sit on your creations! I can hear my own mom yell at me for sitting on her quilts, "You're going to wear out the stitches"! But what fun is crafting if you have to tiptoe around them right? Great pillow & cute boy!
ReplyDeleteThat is super cute!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful! I think I may recognize some of the fabrics. You are so creative.
ReplyDelete