Friday, January 20, 2012

Letter Writing

Last year I didn't really make any New Years resolutions.   If there was something I intentionally worked at and and actually did , it was writing more letters.  Handwritten, with a nice stamp (if we go to the right post office that has stamps).

When my Grandma died last February I lost one of my faithful letter writers.  I really have missed that standard envelope with the neat cursive writing, always the same.  I was pleasantly surprised this winter when one of those standard envolopes came, only this time written by my Grandpa.  There were so many things Grandma did for the both of them, letter writing being one of them.  So this was the first letter I've recieved from him in his handwriting (after he tried typing a portion of it) and I will treasure it always.  It was so good of him to write.

 I am lucky to say that I have two "penpals" left.  Both are old friends of mine who have been writing me letters for the last 15 to 20 years.  I'm thrilled to have them.  One has nearly always written from California, where she has lived most of her life.  The other has written me post cards and letters post marked from literally all over the world.  I hope to be writing them another twenty years from now.

So last year I wrote more letters.  I wrote more letters to those other than my "penpals," and tried to surprise a few old friends with a real letter in the mail.  The rewards of writing letters is getting mail in return.  We have been so blessed to have our parents write to our kids or to have their cousins try their hand at scrawling out a letter or sending an original drawing.  I know it takes effort because we are trying to do it on this end as well.  Sometimes it is hard to get the kids to sit down on my prompting to sort out their thoughts and write something meaningful.  And sad but true, we have written many many letters that never got sent.  I find them quite regularly.  Mostly they are started and not finished.  Sometimes they are even put in an envelope and sealed and then wait a month to get to the post office.  That frustrates me!  But it won't stop me from writing more.  It's become a habit that I am not in a hurry to replace with the ease of emailing (though I still do plenty of that).  Call me old fashioned.

This year, besides continuing to write letters, I hope to send out more Birthday cards. . . to family members. . . on time (or at least close).  These last four years in Turkey my sister-in-law (yes that would be you Lisa) hasn't missed a single bithday or anniversary and I'd really like to do the same.  She isn't the only one good at sending cards on Aaron's side of the family.  Aaron's mom has coined the name "letter Grandma" in our home because of all the postcards, letters and cards she sends.  In fact I'm probably the only one who isn't good at sending cards.  But my kids love getting those cards so I think it's time I get my act together and try to do the same for all my neices and nephews.  It will take a huge act of organization and forthought but I know I can try my best!

So, the reason I'm writing this isn't just so that I can remember that I wrote letters and to hold myself publically accountable to sending out those cards.  I will have my boxes of recieved letters to vouch for my letter writing efforts, and my concience will be either pricked or proud depending on my success (or unsuccess) of getting those cards out. I'm writing this post to encourage you to write a real letter to someone you care about, or someone you haven't written in a long time, or ever!  There is no better surprise than a letter in the mailbox to be opened and read and read again.  And you may find the writing is good for you too.

2 comments:

  1. I love letters, but I'm not very good at taking the time to write them. I need to do better at writing all the time, not just special occasions. It's always so much fun to go back and read old letters! My kids love getting letters, in fact, Addison has a "mailbox" right outside her door and checks it every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me think of you...a letter writing center. I thought it was a great idea and something I'm going to try to do.

    http://www.pinkandgreenmama.blogspot.com/2012/01/letter-writing-center.html

    ReplyDelete