Thursday, March 15, 2012

Discovering Poetry

This week Malachi discovered poetry.  He got a timeout and was sent to our room and after his timeout was over he chose to stay in our room longer.  I kept checking on him and for the longest time he was just looking out the window.  Then he came out and asked for paper and I gave him a notebook.  He went back to the window and that is where I got this shot.  He was writing something and I was curious.  After at least a half an hour I came in and asked what he was writing and he didn't want to say.  I think he was shy to share his writing.  After some coaxing I got a peak and it was a series of short poems about the rain and the scenery outside.  Very simple and nice.  I'll have to ask his permission to post them sometime.  He stayed busy writing for a very long time.  Malachi definitely has a gift with language and a need to express things in language.  I hope this continues to be an outlet for him.  It was interesting to see him initiate this need to write in this style all on his own.  I think is speaks also for how nature can move us.  As he was looking out the window at the rain and the trees and birds he saw some beauty in it all and wanted to capture it with words.  A good reminder to sit still long enough to see the simple beauty around us.


1 comment:

  1. What a special boy you have. I'm so amazed at his intensity and depth.

    ReplyDelete