Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Fun with Marbles and Trash

A few weeks ago we went crazy building a marble maze.  It was definitely adult directed but the kids had fun helping put it together and especially trying it out.  I have this big box full of recyclables that I save for projects like this and so I brought it down and we went crazy.  I know this isn't going to be hard for you to imagine, but Aaron was probably the most excited and when he came home things really got cool.  We took the maze down our stairs as you can see in the pictures.  We had the best gravity advantage that way.      
      
This is the end of the maze shown here.

The over sized bear simply kept the string from touching the wall.  You can also see what looks like a Kleenex on the floor.  When the marble dumped from the long clear tube into the toilet paper tube cup above this neat little pulley (made from Legos) dropped the marble to the ground and pulled the Kleenex up to the top.  


Here is a view of the maze from the top.

And here is our neighbor kid who thought this was the coolest thing in the world.  He dropped the marbles in and Malachi waited with a sheet of paper to record the number of successful drops versus the unsuccessful ones. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a fun project. Is it still up or did you take it down? You are so creative.

    ReplyDelete