I don't imagine many of you have the problem I have: too many people bringing you food. "Problem" really isn't the right word because it sounds so negative and the wonderful delicious Turkish food that comes on these plates, to my door, is definitely not a problem. I love it. I love the food and I love the generosity of my neighbors. It does become a problem when these plates start to build up on my counter because then I have the dilemma of trying to think of what delicious food I can whip up and return with their plate. That is usually the way it is done here, by no means the rule, but usually you don't return a plate empty because these wonderful women always have something delicious to share. I had built up three plates on my counter. One came with stuffed grape leaves, another with borek (for another blog), and another with these tasty cookies I believe. So, one day I made a big batch of sugar cookies and filled the plates on my counter. Throughout the day I delivered them back to their rightful owner. One was across the hall, one I took down the street when I had a free moment, and another I sent home with my neighbor girl when her mom came to pick her up after an afternoon of playing with Sonora. Whew! All three were filled and I didn't have that feeling that I was keeping someones plate for so long. Then later that evening I got a knock on the door. It was my downstairs neighbor (the one with the little girl). She was wondering if I would like to try a special dish made with leeks. Sure!! I never turn down their food. So, once again, the stack of plates start piling up again. So wonderful really!! As of today, I just have one plate. It is seldom that there is not at least one plate sitting on my counter empty, ready for a return visit. The generosity here is astounding!
Sonora posing with me.

Yum! So true about keeping track of all those plates (easier the freshly baked bread from the shared neighborhood tandir). But we are lucky to have such 'problems'. Afiyet olsun!
ReplyDeleteWow! What a wonderful way for you to try their food and even learn how to make it. The Leek dish looks good!
ReplyDelete