Friday, February 24, 2012

How sleep comes. . .

Tonight as I'm sitting in the kitchen after having tucked two kids into bed I finally notice that silence has settled in.  Malachi has always been a good sleeper.  I think by 9 months he pretty much went to sleep with little fuss.  He knows how to settle into the stillness and let himself fall asleep.  When it is my turn to read to him at night I like to just lay there after we've read.  It's getting to be my bad habit of catching a little extra sleep for myself.  But I notice that after we pray he just lays there thinking and I watch his eyelids get heavy and then he's out.  I hope he is always able to go to sleep so easily.

Sonora, on the other hand, is another story.  Just as Malachi has always known how to fall asleep, Sonora has always known how to fight it.  So after I tucked both kids into beds tonight and went to sit in the kitchen, Malachi could be seen laying still and quiet and Sonora was tying on a bonnet, standing on her bed in tights and a long sleeve shirt with a white dress slip pulled over for pajamas talking just above a whisper to herself.  From my spot in the kitchen I could see everything.  Next came out the pencils and little pieces of paper and then a request for a snack.  Then she disappeared from sight, came back with some stuffed animals and started arranging them on her bed.  The next time I looked she must have started wearing out because she was finally laying down.  Then I could see her laying still for a long time, fighting to keep her eyes open and finally she fell asleep.  It sounds entertaining as I'm writing it but sometimes it really drives me crazy!

I enjoy the differences between these two.  They are both pretty sweet unique little kids and I love them!

1 comment:

  1. Maybe she get her sleeping from me. I still don't go to sleep easily and never have. I can remember not sleeping as a child. The only time I ever went to sleep as soon as I went to bed was when I did chemo. Hang in there mom and daughter.

    ReplyDelete