Friday, February 17, 2012
Last Sunday Aaron and the kids made soup together. It was a joint effort with the kids washing and peeling veggies and giving their two cents about what would improve the taste. They did a great job and it was fun hearing them at work together. I had a terrible headache so I was laying in bed listening to them all together. After the soup was on the stove cooking Aaron sent the kids out to buy bread. It was early, though just dark, and as I heard them getting their shoes on I was about to call out a suggestion that maybe Aaron should go with them, but decided not to. They were excited to go and Aaron gave them specific instructions to stick together. Being a mom, I got up and went to the window to watch for them. From our bedroom window you can see the majority of the walk to the store. We know the store owner well and so my only concern was that it was dark. As soon as they cleared our building and were out on the street I could see them, holding hands, all bundled up. I imagined them getting to the shop, walking in, picking out a peice of bread from the glass cabinet and putting it in a bag. Malachi would hand over the money and probably forget to get the change. Before I knew it they were back in veiw, still holding hands, Malachi with the bag of bread, and this time they were picking up their speed. When they were out of sight I laid back down and a second later I could hear them coming in our building, their steps getting louder as they were coming up the stairs, the knock on the door, the turn of the lock and their voices in our home again. Sonora said, "The guy in the store asked us if we were Harun Bey's kids (Mr. Aaron's kids)." Aaron said, "What did you say?" Malachi replied, "We said we were," and I could hear his pride. "Dad, are you famous around here?" I didn't hear Aaron's reply to that one. They sliced the bread and a little later called me to eat. I didn't like the idea of sending them out in the dark but I did like seeing them holding hands walking down that street. It was a sweet sight. Malachi said he held Sonora's hand the whole way, just like his daddy said he should.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

What a wonderful story. I'd have watched them too and been a little apprehensive, especially after dark. Harun and Consuelo's kids.
ReplyDeleteI love it...dad, are you famous?!!!! I would have felt the same way as you. Great experience for the kids, not so easy for us moms!
ReplyDelete