Thursday, January 6, 2011

Diamond Quilt Finally Finished!

 I am so happy this quilt is finally finished.  It's kind of fun thinking back to how long it's been a work in progress.  It actually started way back when we were living in South Dakota and Sonora was a baby.  Like always, I've been quilting on a budget:  discount fabrics, a good find at the Et Cettera Shoppe, or fabric given to me.  I believe this quilt was the product of a stash of old fabric my mom had given me and an attempt to make the small pieces go a long way and I suppose a brave attempt to do something other than squares.  I drew up a diamond pattern and cut and pieced it in the evenings when the kids were sleeping... up in the attic if I remember right.  So the whole thing got pieced and packed away because sometime after that we began our preparations to come to Turkey.  It didn't make it in the number of plastic tubs we brought to Turkey.  Though I brought my sewing machine I knew with a two year old and a four year old and everything being new I wouldn't be getting to it for awhile.  It stayed behind.
 Two years ago, for Christmas, my parents came and my mom brought it with her along with some other fabric and stuff I had left behind.  It sat for another year at least and then last Spring I needed an outlet. . . something bright, something to peck away out, some much missed hand quilting work.  So I pulled it out took it to a yorgancı (a man who hand stitches these traditional Turkish type comforters--maybe for another post).  There I found a blue that worked for the backing and had to settle with polyester batting (so sad :( there is no 100% cotton batting here and I'm kicking myself for not bring any back with me) and I started working away at it.  I finished last week!  It felt good.  Sonora didn't have a heavy blanket for the winter so she's using it on her bed.  
Oh the joy of a project finished!

4 comments:

  1. Oh this is so beautiful! What great work you do!! And something that Sonora will love for a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful. I bet Sonora is thrilled. Keep sewing.

    ReplyDelete