Friday, January 14, 2011

Turklish

As Turkish language learners we speak our fair amount of Turklish (English and Turkish mixed).  These mixed languages (like Spanglish) must be the case for anyone living in an environment where you function in two (or more) languages.  I know we've given some examples of this before but here is a new one:

The other day at the dinner table Malachi was describing something (and you will probably be curious concerning what he was talking about but I really can't remember what the reference was) and threw in such a small Turkish suffix I almost didn't catch it.  He said, ". . . it was legsiz and headless. . . "  Siz is a suffix used exactly like our suffix "-less"  in English.  It means "without."  But I found it funny he used the Turkish suffix on the end of leg and the English equivalent for the same thing on head, just two words later.  Language is so interesting, it never ceases to amaze me what is going on in my head.

The Turks have this great saying.  It goes like this:  One language, one person.  Two languages, two people.   The point is that learning another language so broadens you that you become more than just one person.  That sounds good doesn't it?  More honestly, my second person still sounds a lot like Tarzan.

No comments:

Post a Comment