Hanging laundry seems to be the never ending job of the winter here as the lack of sun and heat make for slow drying. These pictures were taken from our window, all apartments surrounding us, all with some sort of article hanging out to dry. And if you were to drive through neighborhoods anywhere throughout Istanbul you would see laundry on nearly every balcony hanging out to dry. It is like this in winter and summer. The average Turk doesn't own a dryer but own drying racks of some kind and have laundry lines strung up on balconies if possible. I remember hanging stuff out on the line when I was a kid so there is something familiar about it for me. I sort of like the look of homes with all these signs of life covering them. It's a welcome splash of color when the city is cloudy and gray. We too own a drying rack and in the winter when it's rainy outside we make the most of our radiators for quick drying. Wearing something fresh off the radiator is the closest thing to getting it out of the dryer for us. Well, that's all for now. It's a gray drizzly day and I woke up with a call from Aaron (who was out for an early walk) telling me to quickly get the laundry off the terrace because it had started to rain.


No clothes dryers but lots of satelite dishes.
ReplyDelete