Monday, September 13, 2010
Rug Cleaning
I have finally had the opportunity to wash my rugs by hand. In our old neighborhood most people took their rugs to a professional cleaner. I hate to admit that for the last two years I only vacuumed them and never had them washed. I wanted to do it myself like I would see women do in certain parts of the city, but I didn't have the space or someone to teach me. Well, our first week back, my downstairs neighbor was washing her rugs and so while the kids played outside I sat on the wall and visited with her while she washed her rugs. I asked her what she used and how it was to be done and where you can buy a hose for the job, etc. She told me how she first uses dish soap, rinses, then uses detergent, rinses and finally uses watered down bleach for stains and then rinses. Then she rolls up the rug and stands it up for the water to drain out. She said I could use her hose. So, the next day she came over, helped me hook up the hose and walked me through the process again. It was a fun job for a hot day. The kids jumped in to help right away and so we got the job done in no time with everyone fairly wet. I did get carpet burn on my knuckles from scrubbing with the my hand brush. The following day I did my hall rug (which was getting pretty nasty) and now it looks great! I can't tell you how excited I am about this rug washing possibility here!
Labels:
Daily Life
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
New comments are not allowed.