Thursday, September 23, 2010
Size in Perspective
What would you consider the size of your home? Big, normal, small? You know how they say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder? Well, I would also say that size is in the perspective of experience. I feel a bit like my perspective is a little confused right now. By Turkish standards our home is probably considered big. We just moved into a place with four bedrooms and it is a duplex, which to us feels more like a house because there are stairs. I wish I had the square footage because that would be more telling of size than just the number of bedrooms. I suppose it is similar to the square footage of our old home in Freeman. After first arriving back in Turkey, I felt our home to be a bit small. Everything in America is just bigger. . . in general. I didn't realize how important space and privacy were to me until I moved to a place that has less of both. Anyway, I think I mainly felt our home to be small because we have no yard. Yards are really really cool and such a privilege. Now, after being here awhile, our home is getting bigger (in my perspective). It certainly is enough and we are really blessed. From a Turkish woman's perspective it is a lot to clean. And then we have the question of what is meant by "clean" We'll leave that for another day.
Labels:
Culture
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment